Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Rivalry


Thankyou to FanBlogs for this great find from the PD. 
This comes from a former Big 10 official named Bill Kingzett who once worked a
n Ohio State - Michigan game: 

~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Big Ten officials work in crews, and some people don't know this, but back then, when a crew was chosen to work the Ohio State- Michigan game, if that crew had an official from Michigan, he had to be approved by Woody Hayes; and if the crew had someone from Ohio on it, he had to be approved by Bo Schembechler. If Woody or Bo didn't approve, the Big Ten had to find someone to replace you. For that game, I was the only Ohio official that Bo approved. One member of our crew was from Dayton, and Bo would not accept him, so they had to replace him.
...
I remember our crew went in on Friday, and we were staying at the Student Union in Ann Arbor the night before the game. With the excitement, the parties, the anticipation of the game, that place never shut down. I'm a great sleeper, but with the combination of noise and the atmosphere, I woke up at 3 or 4 in the morning. I went into the hallway for a walk, and I bumped into a couple of other members of our crew. They couldn't sleep either. So we walked for a little while and then managed to get some sleep. That was the only time I was awakened before any game I worked.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This game is what college athletics is all about..

No comments: