Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Not So Beautiful..


So yea..I feel it's time now I can finally speak after the OSU game on Saturday.  After a long trek to Columbus, I knew I had made the right choice.  Seeing old friends, feeling the city just raging with anticipation..I was reminded once again why OSU football is so special.   The scene was packed, the day was perfect, and the 105k inside the Shoe were intense as I've ever seen.  OSU football was in full effect. 

Well..except for a few things..I was nervous from the start concerning this 2 QB offense.  Were we that good we could seriously run 2 offenses?  The answer as we found out was no.  Personally, I am happy Smith will be our QB vs San Diego State as he played a better overall game than Zwick.  Granted Smith felt he had to match Vince by running 1-2 downs every possesion, but Smith is just an additional weapon to throw off defenses.  Something our traditional white bread QB's at OSU could never do (minus Stanley Jackson).

But beyond the QB situation, this game was full of missed opportunities and poor, poor hands...damn you Hamby.  How could you drop the ball twice...that was so painful.  Anyways..Huston played great and missing a 50 yarder is nothing to be ashamed of.  But missed opportunities..that was our problem.  As my buddy Clery and I sat there watching FG after FG, we knew something wasn't right.  You could feel it in the stadium.  People got more worried as we hit more and more Field Goals.  Points usually are good, but when your average starting field position is the 44 yard line, 3 points is not acceptable (especially with the best receiving core in college football). 

That brings me to my next point..the inability to use our weapons.  Now, I am sure all of you have read this diagnosis somewhere else, but honestly I haven't watched or read anything on this game.  I didn't need to see SportsCenter to know we couldn't convert and that we had to pick one QB.  So our weapons..Ginn..2 dropped balls, but double and triple teamed all night.  So watching the game, you're like oh well we have an equally as dangerous weapon in Holmes as Ginn so let's launch him the ball.  Well..that only happened once and Holmes was basically in single coverage all night.  Honestly, it was a shame the way we used our offense.  Pittman was stellar, but when Smith came in, Pittman took a back seat.  Now, in my opinion if Smith was the full time starter (and we will see this Sat) then Pittman would get plenty more carries.  But given Smith had 4 downs to prove himself at any time, sure he is going to take matters into his own hands.  This 2 QB offense was an admiral idea in theory and it was a nice attempt to showcase our talent, but it didn't work..fans became more frustrated with each possession not knowing who we are going to see..or more importantly what offense we were going to run.

So that's it...I can't talk anymore.  Friday night was amazing seeing old friends and being in college once again..and Saturday day brought perfect weather, an expected hangover, and the best sports atmosphere you could ever ask for..but Saturday night around 11:30pm it all ended.  Post game, Clery and I sat for 15 mins in shock of what had just transpired. 
Columbus was silent..not a word leaving the stadium.   It hurt..it really hurt. 

But in true sports fashion, especially Ohio sports, you do your best to forget the pain and look ahead to the future.  Bring on San Diego State..

O-H...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree the two quarterback system will not work but I am not positive that Smith is the best option.  Smith gives us an instant feeling of being better but I think it is more of a false sense.  13 carries for 46 yards will not get it done.  If you take away his TD pass to Homes, is passing stats are 4 of 10 for 42 yards.  When Smith entered the game Ohio State lost focus.  To say that if he plays the whole game that will change is like saying that Tressel won't call a conservative game.  Add on Smith's off the field problems I think Zwick is the better option.  If Smith can play like he did against Michigan every game from here on out that is a different story, but hopefully he doesnt just live off that past reputation.

Why are OSU fans sending Hamby hate mail.  I am not happy about it either, but I doubt he intended to drop the ball in both attempts of catching it.  I don't see us sending Tressel death threats for trying to run out the clock from the third quarter on.  

Anonymous said...

I-O!!!!!  I'll root for OSU in the Big Ten just for you buddy...sorry about the tough loss... i Hate anything from Texas

Anonymous said...

Mr. Mottram,

Don't feel bad, the whole state of Texas hates you too.

Lew