Friday, May 13, 2005

One Day, One Day


Today is Friday the 13th..a day associated with curses, black cats, Freddy, and whatever else.  It's also apparently the time a Beacon Journal columnist reflects on Cleveland's sports misery

This is really not funny..but it's the way it is.  Also, this article sounds quite similar to my first post

In summary this is what it says:

You glance at the calendar and notice it's Friday the 13th. You are a Cleveland sports fan. It's always Friday the 13th.
But through all the misery and the 41 years between major titles, have you asked yourself the following question: Where is the parade route?


oh and here are the 13 unluckiest moments in Cleveland sports history (according to the ABJ):

1. Ninth inning of Game 7 of '97 World Series

2. The Shot (Michael Jordan beats Cavs)

3. Red Right 88

4. Jim Chones' broken foot

5. The Drive

6. Herb Score eye injury

7. The Fumble

8. Indians sold to Stouffer instead of Steinbrenner

9. Art Modell decides to move the Browns in 1995

10. Kellen Winslow motorcycle crash

11. Ted Stepien buys Cavs in 1980

12. Back injury ends Brad Daugherty's career

13. Willie Mays' 1954 catch


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hang in there cleveland fans, your day will come.  if a city like detroit can turn it around, so can you.

PS -- Freddy is nightmare on elm street.  Jason is Friday  the 13th.  Some people care!

Anonymous said...

The football ones are at the top of my list.

Anonymous said...

Kellen Winslow is a punk!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Leblog,

Whenever my DC sports teams let me down (Wiz are now down 3-0 to the Heat after last nights home loss and on the verge of elimination), I can always turn to you to lift my spirits.  For it is you that turns my gray skies to blue by showing me just how bad a sports town can be.  Oh, I could go on and on about all the sorrow in DC sports history, but nothing could compare to the sadness you have endured.  And although my heart does go out to you, I can't help but be thankful that I am from DC and not Cleveland.  

Please know that your misery is not lost.  Clevelandites like you make all other sports towns a better place to be.  

Thank you...and here's to keeping you down!
BS

Anonymous said...

I will trade those and 415 more for that one magical season, culminating in 31-24.  

Anonymous said...

BS... thankful to be a DC fan???? You've got to be kidding me. I'm not even a Cleveland fan but your comment is way off mark. DC is a mockery compared to the loyalty and passion that Cleveland shows its beloved teams. You say the lack of titles in Clev. make it ok for you to continue being a DC fan. Typical.  You've just brought down the rep of a DC fan even lower. Before your comment I viewed DC fans nothing short of fair-weather, limpy, law-degree, just-learned-what-pass-interference-means socialites responding to the equivalent of the "yell" sign on the Oprah Winfrey show. And then you made that silly comment. Well, have fun yucking it up.  You DC fans are good at that and that's about it.

Anonymous said...

JM,

Yawn. Save your opinions for when you know something about the topic. What could you possibly know about loyalty to one sports town?

BS

Anonymous said...

Ooo... big comeback BS. You told me... absolutely nothing else about DC fans. Still trying to turn the tables to keep from exposing yourselves as soft-core brats. Hey, so did you make the Orioles-to-Nats switch yet? Keep the swapping to a minimum, will ya?

Anonymous said...

The list omits the Ravens winning the Superbowl in 2001.  Talk about a kick to the nuts.  Modell moving the Browns will always top my list.  No matter how many blown championship opportunities I have seen and will see... having our Browns taken away from us, the most loyal sports fans in the nation (OK maybe #2 behind Packers fans) was the epitome of Cleveland's misery.  I started going to Brown's games as soon as I could walk and I was always told "Wait 'til next year."  When the Browns left, there was no next year.

Anyone read Scoop Jackson's article on LeBron's new management team??  Check out ESPN page2.