Thursday, March 3, 2005

The Times They Are A Changin

Well..it looks as though the coasts might have to take a backseat on this up and coming Midwest phenomenon.  As new majority owner of the Cavs put it, “I'm frankly tired of everything is California and New York, we're going to have exciting times here." 

Dan – let me be the first to say, while I don’t know how you’re going to do it, I do believe in you.   Your first move was pretty rock solid allowing a cheesy pop star to purchase part of your team.   I mean I feel sorry for my buddies who will have to sit in the Gund game after game hearing “Yeah!” every 3rd shot, but besides that I think this could be really tight for not only the team, but the city.  

I read a few articles how this Usher fella might steal the spotlight from the King…you kidding me...I won’t even comment on that.  But no matter what way you look at it, the Cavaliers entered a new era on Tuesday as Gilbert officially took command for a cool $375 million. 

A Douche Bag and a Money Bag(s)

So now we have two folks who have promised to "light Cleveland up like Las Vegas." That being LeBron on draft day and Gilbert on Tuesday.   Now, I think this Gilbert guy might actually pull something off here.  A totally new kind of owner and for the first time in my life, we finally have a Cleveland owner willing to spend some cashola.  I can’t even picture Cleveland as a major market down the road, but that would be awesome.  And like I mentioned in an earlier post, Jordan was largely responsible for reviving the once struggling city of Chicago, which in the long run is much more important than the rise of the Bulls. 

I also checked out a pretty cool article about Gilbert getting his first taste of the King face-to-face.  "It was the first time we really talked," Gilbert said. "He's mature beyond his years. He's a great guy who just wants to win. He's a highly competitive person and that made me feel real good."   Sounds good to me…

Another delight here is that Gilbert plans to offer LeKing a maximum contract as soon as possible, which the Cavs can do next summer.  Now, I know this doesn’t mean it’s a done deal, but things are looking good for Lebron to play out his days in wine & gold (or throwback yellow & wine or classic blue and orange). 

The new owner also intends to re-sign Z who is up for renewal after this season. "He wants to stay here, and we want him, too," said Gilbert. "I believe when two sides want something then it will happen. It shouldn't be a big problem."   Giggidy, Giggidy.  It’s all happening..I feel it.  We got LeBron, Z, Gooden, maybe McGinnis (if not, we got Snow), but still definitely need a Shooting Guard…come on Redd…remember 1999..Ohio baby. 

So we know this about the new (majority) owner:
-He won’t move the team
-He is going to capture LeBron as soon as he can.
-He is willing to resign proven talent (Z)
-He aims to revitalize the city
-And he is gonna put in a phatty new scoreboard

OH yes…
I am pumped and I hope your ready for some excitement cause it’s about to get nastier in the city above LeBron’s birth. 

No comments: