Saturday, February 5, 2005

Growing up OHio

I would like to begin this venture with a little story of a young sports fan growing up in the great state of Ohio...

...Bottom of the ninth, two outs, Indians up 2-1 in game 7 of the 1997 World Series.  All across Ohio, fans were getting ready to rejoice 33 years of torture (yes, I am counting the 1964 Browns Championship) and a teenager was about to get his first taste of victory.... 

Would school be cancelled tomorrow?  Would my health teacher apologize for a bs detention I received b/c I ran headphones up my shirt in class just to catch a listen of a Tribe playoff game?

....And then Jose Mesa blew it..are you kidding me..he freakin blew it.  So its 2-2 going into the 11th and Tony Fernandez commits an error instead of ending the game.  Fish score and it's over.  Wow..I can't even describe the feeling that came over me.  Oh wait..I can actually...let me think there was:

-The Shot over Ehlo

-The Fumble

-The Drive

-Modell moving the Browns

ok i have to stop..too painful..

So yes folks..since I can remember, I have only experienced heartache.  Wait not just heartache, but humiliation..yeah I believe humiliation describes a young sports fan watching the Tribe with about 3,000 other die hards and then realizing their was a movie made to mock it..c'mon..that's simply too much.      

   not cool..not cool at all

Well..it is for real and even my first Buckeye game was the only game they lost in 1998 putting them out of National Championship contention. 

We always lose..it's never the year..and we are forever cursed..but never did I give up hope. 

But then in early 03, a wish was granted...

As this young blogger attended his last game as a student Buckeye on January 3, 2003, he witnessed something that has never happened in almost 25 years of existence..a freakin championship.  From the 4th and 1 game winning toss at Purdue to the only option play all year vs Michigan for the game winning TD, the 2002 Buckeye season was simply...amazing.  As I ran into a childhood friend post game he simply looked at me and said, "So this is what it's like to win it all."  How awesome of a feeling and as I have told my buddies, "I hope getting married or poppin out kids feels better b/c right now I can't imagine that it does."

But still..no victory for the state of Ohio...

Currently, the Browns biggest story involves a Playboy Playmate & a stiletto heal and the Tribe continues to cut anyone over the age of 25.  But then, there are those Cavs, who arguably have the MVP of the league at age 20.  The Chosen One, from my home town - LeAkron, is simply dominating and to be honest..the only shot this state has at winning a championship right now. Will it happen soon..no idea, but it's gonna happen and I can't wait.  While the Buckeyes championship was sweet, only a certain area of the state rejoiced and many articles in local papers stated this is simply an appetizer to the big one. 

My love for sports in this great state continues and in this blog, I will continue to track the progress of all those sometimes awful, sometimes frustrating teams in the OHio.   

Stay Classy Ohio..

P.S.  In case you havent noticed, I did not mention the Bengals, Reds, or Bearcats and that's simply because those are Kentucky teams..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just watched my Eagles lose last night in the Superbowl.  Stop crying Cleveland, an entire generation of kids born after the mid 70s can't remember a championship in Philly.  And we have 4 teams.   At least now I'll start dreaming of Thome hitting a home run to win the World Series this year.

1979 Brian from Philly.

Anonymous said...

Cleveland is the number worst sports city, not philly. So we can cry, we have earned it

Anonymous said...

I feel you completely!  As a former Buckeye grad myself, nothing was more gratifying then watching the Bucks go all way!  Tempe looked as if Columbus was transplanted to the desert and the waves of scarlet and gray chanting O-H-I-O, brought tears to my eyes.  While I'm not a big Cleveland fan, I feel the Ohio loyalty and root for them when I can.  As for the Phillie fans who responded, 'flap' your mouths all you want, you'll never understand Ohio pride.

Anonymous said...

When Woody Hayes got fired my Dad sat me down and tried to explain that good people can have bad traits, etc.  This pissed me off so I punched my sister.

Anonymous said...

I would like to honor and thank all the great ohio sports fans that have put up with tremendous heartache and disappointment. I grew up in ohio and am sick and tired of all these people thinking there is nothing here and we will never win a championship. This state is filled with great loyal sports fans, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnatti and everywhere you go you will always find some passionate individuals that truly understand sports and what it takes to be a winner. Sure we have had some tough years (especially in the 90's), but i really do think its time to win again. The only exception would be the indians and reds which are both robbed with horrible upper managment. Look at the cavaliers. Two years ago they only won 17 games, and ever since lebron arrived they are a completely different team. Now if they can stay healthy and continue to play good basketball, they could be a serious contender and threat for the the eastern conference title....if not this year than defintely in years to come. The browns finished 4-12 this year, but i assure you they are not near as bad as their record. With Crennell coming in and bringing good people with him that know how to win, I have them going 10-6 next year. You can look at them like the san diego chargers from last season. They have some really good players there, all they need to do is stay healthy, play to their potential, and not quit on their coach. The bengals still concern me because paul brown jr. is an idiot...but i know marvin lewis is doing everything he can to make a winning team out of the lowly "bunguls" frachise. If carson palmer continues to improve and they can pick up some better guys on defense, i can see them going 9-7 next year. Though times have been tough in the past, stay optimistic ohio sports fans! Winning is coming back to this great state and it will be soon.